The Beats Must Go On (Howl)

I am a writer by nature. Admittedly, I did not discover Allen Ginsberg until a few years ago. I would like to think that I found Ginsberg, but more than likely he found me. As I progressed through my 20’s and began searching for my true self, I developed an interest in Buddhism. I was still in the Navy at the time, but nearing the end of my tour of duty. The military isn’t really big on the individual developing thoughts for themselves, more like a mindless obedience without stray. That is why I am here in college writing this blog. That mentality is good for the military, and it works for what they want to accomplish.
It doesn’t work for me.
While my journey into Buddhism was beginning, I read an article written by Ginsberg regarding his Buddhist beliefs, and his style and flow of life spoke to me. It was then that I dug deeper into Ginsberg and his work, and I discovered “Howl.” Like many people that read it for the first time, it blew my mind. It was considered too obscene. It went against the happy, traditional American suburban “nuclear family” mentality that post war America was in love with. Ginsberg popped the top off the can of the “real” America. Life in America wasn’t always the perfect “Leave it to Beaver” family. There was an entire generation of youth that felt the same way as Ginsberg.
Now they had a voice.
Ginsberg of course led me to Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs and the Beat Generation. I read “Dharma Bums” and “On the Road” by Kerouac and was left speechless. The beat writers and generation went against the “norm” of American society. Their attitude and views were hard to swallow for stuffy, single minded America, who couldn’t deal with the fact that they themselves had given up on their dreams long ago, and that their lives were just shells of who they really were.
As I continue my education here at UT, I hope to integrate the styles and beliefs of artists like Ginsberg, Kerouac, and Burroughs, and apply them to the 21st century and all of the new technologies that we have at hand. My generation needs a voice.
Why can’t it be mine?